The UMass Arts Council offers the following grants:
Single Project/Event Grants, which support a single arts-related project, event or series.
Mini-Grants, a which supports small art events on campus.
Information about the Arts Council's Grants:
Mini Grants and Single Projects/Events grants are awarded to groups and organizations that are affiliated with the University of Massachusetts Amherst and involve UMass students through program management, participation and/or as an audience in arts related events (such as music, dance, theater, video and film productions, visual arts exhibits, poetry readings, etc.). Applicants must have a GOF or revenue accepting fund. Examples of eligible organizations include: registered student organizations, academic departments, and cultural centers. Although individuals are not eligible to apply for grants, those who are sponsored by academic departments, RSO's and other campus groups who meet all other criteria may be eligible for mini grants (but not Single Projects/Events grants). Please note that the Arts Council does not support fundraising and profit making events. A description of grant criteria is listed below:
Funding Criteria - The Council prefers to fund proposals which:
- demonstrate strong artistic merit (for example, live musical performances vs. disc jockeys, dance performances vs. social dancing, etc.)
- originate with student groups
- are held on campus, except in unusual circumstances
- involve several different organizations
- demonstrate good organization and planning
- have sought multiple funding sources
In addition, please note that:
1. Council funds may not be used to support wages, salaries or honoraria for UMass students, staff or faculty; hospitality, such as transportation, receptions, and hotel accommodations; and fundraising activities.
2. Applicants may not apply for the same program or event in both the Single Projects/Events category and the Mini-Grant category, unless referred by the Council.
3. Grants are awarded to groups and organizations that are affiliated with the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and have a GOF or revenue accepting fund (speed type, dept. ID and fund numbers are requested on cover sheet). Funds are processed and dispersed only through the University Accounting system. Grants are not awarded to individuals.
4. Incomplete applications are unlikely to be funded
5. Applications must be received by noon on the due date to be considered. Late proposals will be considered at the next funding cycle, provided the project does not begin before the notification date of that cycle.
6. Awards are limited to $750 per project/event for Mini-Grants and $2,000 per project/event for Single Projects/Events grants
Application Process and Deadlines
- Determine your eligibility.
- Note the application deadline.
- Complete the on-line application:
Organizations are encouraged to apply as far in advance of the start date of their project as possible, to ensure that they will receive the highest award.
***The deadline is at Noon on the specified Wednesday***
Previous Grant Recipients