Tuesday, May 5, 7:00 p.m. ET // Wednesday, May 6, 9:00 a.m. AEST
Live on the UMass Fine Arts Center's Facebook Page
Monkey Baa Theatre Company joined us all the way from Australia for a live digital engagement on our Facebook! Company Director Eva Di Cesare shared a bedtime reading of Diary of a Wombat along with some storytelling about the company and their connection to the book’s author Jackie French and illustrator Bruce Whately. There was even an opportunity at the end to field some questions from the audience.
Millions of young people around the world have adored the multi award-winning picture book, Diary of a Wombat written by Australian Children’s Laureate, Jackie French, and illustrated by Bruce Whatley, which Monkey Baa Theatre Company has brought to life in their stage production through the magic of puppetry and live music. In the book, you'll meet Mothball, the naughtiest wombat in Australia. Bored with her daily routine, Mothball goes in search of shelter and food, creating chaos in the lives of the humans around her. We can't wait to share this story with you!
Other Wombat Resources
- Color in your own Wombat Illustration or Connect the Dots
- Browse Art Project Ideas created by Art Educators at The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art
- Order a copy of the book from the Carle Museum. Add a few other books from the Carle Bookshop's Animals and Their Habitats list as well! For more book lists like this, visit The Carle's Picture Books We Love blog.
Download Complete Educator's Guide Here
More Art Project Ideas
created & collected by The Eric Carle Museum's Art Educators
- Wombat enjoys deconstructing walls, tearing down laundry, and banging on trashcans. Enjoy this art project that celebrates tearing, ripping, and shredding as a creative process.
- Wombat does a lot of tunneling, walking, and getting into mischief in various locations. Try creating drawn and paper adventure maps.
- Wombat is very food motivated. Make food-inspired sculptures out of found materials.
- Collage animal portraits
- Animal sculptures from found materials
See all the Course Connections