BREATHING WHILE BLACK
A Digital Visual Art Exhibition on view Fall 2020
Headlines announce the stories one after another and they’re all the same: the murder of Black Americans! In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic when over 100,000 people have died in the U.S. and the world suffers from the physical and psychological devastation of this plague, not only have Black people in the U.S. been disproportionately affected, but they also continue to be victims of hateful brute force.
Recent news images attest to the horror. The police kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery while he was jogging, and of Breonna Taylor in her own home. These are only too reminiscent of the earlier murders of Eric Garner, Philando Castile, and Trayvon Martin. The killings and subsequent acquittals should put us on alert. We should all be asking ourselves: What do these events mean to me? How do they affect me? Why should I care? What will I do to combat racism? What is my responsibility to affect needed change?
Augusta Savage Gallery will host Breathing While Black, a juried digital visual art exhibition, during the fall 2020. The gallery has a reputable history of enlightening viewers on such social concerns as race, ethnicity, class, and cultural identity. This exhibition is an invitation to make a range of responses to the stated slaughters public.
All Entries must comply with the following guidelines:
- Submissions must show evidence of having read the following article: “You shouldn’t need a Harvard degree to survive birdwatching while black” (Washington Post)
- All visual mediums and genres are welcome. (figurative, abstract, landscape, mixed-media, traditional, experimental, conceptual, prints, paintings, sculpture, video, drawing, photography, others)
- Limit of no more than 5 entries per artist. Selections will be made by jury.
- We accept video submissions with the following restrictions: youtube links only; maximum time: 5 minutes.
- For questions about pricing and sales, buyers will contact artists directly. Augusta Savage Gallery does not take commission.
Submission Deadline: July 15, 2020
Notification of Accepted Works: August 1, 2020
Exhibition Dates: September 1 - November 20, 2020
HOW TO SUBMIT
All entries will be reviewed by a jury
No submission fee required!
U.S. and International artists are encouraged to apply
What will be required:
- Artist Statement (should not exceed 5 sentences. Please include information about art submission including influences on your thinking about the subject of your work.)
- Artist Bio (2-3 sentences)
- Image Format: jpg png gif pdf (The smaller edge/side of the image should be a minimum of 1200 pixels; maximum size 5mb)
- For performance art and other videos (Youtube links only)
All information is provided in this Call for Entries. DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL
The Augusta Savage Gallery is a program of the Randolph C. Bromery Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
For more information about the Augusta Savage Gallery click here or visit www.fineartscenter.com/augusta